Our services & common questions
Citrus Vision has been providing quality eye wear and eye care since 1965, as a local, doctor owned practice. As an optical, we provide routine eye exams to check your prescription for glasses. We do not provide medical exams in our offices as there are many fine ophthalmology practices in our area. We realize many of our local part time residents may see health care providers in other states, therefore we always welcome outside prescriptions for your glasses. Both locations carry over 1.000+ frames for you to choose from. Our friendly optical staff is here to assist you with selection, dispensing, and repair of your glasses.
Frequently asked questions about our Optical
- Why do I need to fill out the paperwork before scheduling?
- In our office we do routine exams only. Having patients fill out paperwork before scheduling allows us to recommend the patient see an ophthalmologist if the patient needs a medical eye exam, and with florida being a retirement state this happens quite often. Everyone’s time is valuable, ensuring that the patient is seen by the proper eye-care physician is one way we can respect others time.
- What is EyeDentify?
- EyeDentify is a unique portion of the exam that is proprietary to our optical. EyeDentify is a series of screening retinal images and scans ensuring the health of the inside of the eyes is as it should be.
- How long will it take for my exam and to pick out glasses?
- We tell everyone to plan on being here for at least an hour. The exam with the doctor is about 20 minutes, followed by EyeDentify lasting about 10 minutes. If you are picking out glasses or having contact lenses fit, that can be done in about 30 minutes. Picking out glasses may take longer depending on how decisive you are.
- Can I just get the prescription for my glasses without doing a full exam?
- No. It is against the law in the state of Florida to do a refraction only and not do a routine exam.
- Do you fit contact lenses?
- In our optical, we do basic contact lens fits. We fit distance vision or mono vision only with soft disposable contact lenses. If a patient has a high astigmatism over -2.25 or if the patient wears multifocal contacts, those are considered advanced fits for contact lenses in our optical and our optical currently does not do advanced contact lens fittings.
- Do you do eye exams for children?
- We recommend that children have their first exams done with a pediatric ophthalmologist as this type of doctor specializes in the visual care of children. We do have a set age minimum for patients having exams in our optical, it is 12.
- Do you perform medical eye services or perform cataract surgery?
- Medical eye care is something that an ophthalmologist does. Ophthalmologist are medical doctors that specialize in the treatment of eye disease and perform surgery on eyes. There is no ophthalmologist in our optical therefore we do not do medical treatment, such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc, in our optical.
- Do you see patients with diabetes?
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness, that being said patients with diabetes need to ensure that they are getting annual eye exams. In our optical we will do exams for patients that are diabetic as long as the diabetes is controlled.
- Are you locally owned and operated?
- YES! We are owned by one doctor that lives in Citrus County and not a large corporation that has no investments in our beautiful county.
- Do you sell sunglasses?
- Of course we do! We sell glasses that will enhance all activities in life. Our optical carries sunglasses that are polarized and non-polarized. We can sell sunglasses with no prescription right off the display or we can put prescriptions into sunglasses so that you can have crystal clear vision while outside enjoying our beautiful state.
- Can I get glasses from you if I did not get my exam here?
- Yes you can, all you need is to bring in the current prescription for your glasses and we can get you fit into the perfect pairs for you.
- I have heard there is a thing called “Computer glasses” can I get those from you?
- Yes, we have lenses that are specifically for the computer. These lenses are meant for people that have a need to see the computer and something in near vision at the while working. These lenses come with a blue-light blocking anti-reflective on them giving your eyes the protection needed while working on technology.
- Do you fix or adjust glasses that were purchased elsewhere?
- We prefer not to.
- Do you take pupil distance measurements?
- We take the pupil measurements when patients order glasses in our optical. Pupil distance is not part of a patient’s glasses prescription, it is a custom measurement needed in order for us to properly do our jobs. We will not give out pupil measurements.